Monday 9 June 2014

JPS Lotus bodywork final finish


Clear Coat Woes


Now, on finishing decalling, time has come to look into a suitable clear coat.

Since the paint is Humbrol Black Enamel 21, the logical choice would seem to be to stick with the same manufacturer.
However, right now I'm not so sure.
On a test piece, I have tried Humbrol GlossCote.
It goes on alright, nice gloss finish. seems to dry ok.
-However. On close checking it is not entirely dry!
It can be sanded, seems dry to the touch, -UNLESS, you hold the piece for more than three seconds.
If you do, fingers stick and leaves fingerprints behind in the surface.
A quick Google search on "Humbrol GlossCote tacky" reveals that this is not the only instance, with some reporting tacky surface several years later.
I contacted Humbrol and they replied they are not aware of any problems apart from sometimes needing up to two weeks for full curing.
Well, my test piece is still tacky after two months, so time for plan-B.

I purchased a couple of different clear coats which I tested:
* Testor's (ModelMaster) clear.
      A bit yellow in the bottle, perhaps not so much as a thin coat?

* Mr Hobby Gloss.
      Is a lacquer I believe. Seriously noxious fumes! Also seems to have a tendency to eat decals!
      If you are not extremely careful and apply initial coats as a fine mist and allow to dry in multiple layers, the decals will wrinkle and/or the print dissolve. Decided not to risk it

* Tamiya Gloss acrylic.
      Yes I know, Acrylic on Enamel.
      However, I did not see any issues with reactions to the underlying paint.
     Comparing the result to the ModelMaster clear, it did not seem to flow as well and I didn't quite as good a finish.

So therefore I decided to go with the Testor's ModelMaster Clear Top Coat.

This is the result:


Cured fine, which was my main concern.
Nice hard shiny surface.


Dry fit after some photo etch detail added (cockpit fairing fasteners etc)..

1 comment:

  1. Greetings !
    Never have any problems with Gunze laquer Clear, especially with the decals.Otherwise, tamiya clear eatens the decals often.
    Cheers !

    ReplyDelete